article
Kigali Genocide Memorial (Photo: Janet Anderson)
10 May 2016 by Janet H. Anderson Kigali (Rwanda)

Two Rwandans will go on trial today in Paris for genocide and crimes against humanity. The trial of Octavien Ngenzi and Tite Barahirwa - both former mayors from the south east of the country – is France’s second in a series of up to a potential twenty suspects, in connection with the 1994 genocide. Former spy chief Pascal Simbikangwa was convicted in March 2014 to 25 years in jail in the first ever judgment by a French court relating to the Rwandan genocide. But in October last year the French case against a notorious side-arm-carrying priest Wenceslas Munyeshyaka was dismissed to widespread criticism.

issue
Exhumations from May 2015 on a Periprava site believed to be a graveyard for camp victims (Photo: IICCMER)
03 June 2015

IJT 183 delves into an emotional trial in Romania in which Communist labour camp survivors confront their ex-commander.

Other features:

  • The first-ever ICTR trial transfer could be recalled from Rwanda
  • A new museum at a former detention centre reignites Argentina's debate on memorials
  • The world wrongly gambled on peace without justice in Burundi, says transitional justice expert in a Q&A

News brief:

  • Ivorian ex-first lady Simone Gbagbo is still wanted in The Hague
article
Rwandan genocide court artwork by Surian Soosay (Photo: Flickr/ssoosay)
02 June 2015 by Clive Muhenga, Arusha (Tanzania)

The UN Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals (MICT) has for the first time said that a genocide case handed over to the Rwandan judiciary by the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) may have to be returned, due to fair trial concerns. If taken, the decision would be a serious setback for the Arusha court’s exit strategy.
 

article
Image from Kigali Genocide Memorial Centre (Photo: Flickr/trocaire)
19 April 2015 by Stephanie van den Berg

Due to close its door permanently this year [IJT-172], the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR), started its final trial last week in the appeals case involving six ex-officials of the former province of Butare.

article
24 February 2010 by -

French president Nicholas Sarkozy will arrive in Rwanda tomorrow, marking the first visit by a French leader since the 1994 genocide.

Tensions between the two countries peaked in 2006. Rwanda broke off diplomatic ties after a French judge issued arrest warrants against nine close associates of Rwandan president Paul Kagame. In 2008, Rwanda accused France of complicity in the genocide, naming 33 political and military officials it said should be put on trial.

article
13 January 2010 by -

Hutu extremists shot down the plane carrying former Rwandan president Juvenal Habyarimana in 1994, says the Rwandan government. An official report issued on Monday found that members of Habyarimana’s inner-circle planned his murder in order to scuttle a power-sharing deal with former rebel leader Paul Kagame. The assassination was then used as a pretext for the genocide.

By Thijs Bouwknegt

article
10 March 2010 by -

The 101st edition of the International Justice Tribune is now available. You can read it here.

Download the print version of the International Justice Tribune 101 (PDF file)

Subscribe to the International Justice Tribune

IJT 101 contents:  

article
27 January 2010 by -

Former Congolese rebel leader Laurent Nkunda is being illegally detained by the Rwandan government, says his lawyer. Nkunda has been living under house arrest in Kigali for over a year without any trial in sight.

By Thijs Bouwknegt

“If you believe that the man is a danger or a risk to peace, then you have to make your case in court. But you can’t just do that arbitrarily without making your case,” says Stephane Bourgon who is representing Nkunda.

article
24 March 2010 by -

The 102nd edition of the International Justice Tribune is now available. You can read it here.

Download the print version of the International Justice Tribune 102 (PDF file)

Subscribe to the International Justice Tribune

IJT 102 contents: 

article
29 September 2011 by -

An appeals court in Paris on Wednesday rejected a Rwandan request to extradite alleged genocide mastermind Agathe Habyarimana, widow of the Rwandan president whose death sparked the 1994 genocide.

Juvénal Habyarimana's widow, Agathe Kanziga Habyarimana, who has lived in France for over 15 years, was accused of being a key member of the "akazu" - Kinyarwanda for "little house" - inner circle that planned and implemented the killings which began after her husband's plane was shot down on April 6, 1994.

Pages

Rwanda