ICC forges ahead in Kenya

20 October 2010 by Judie Kaberia

News of a prominent Kenyan suspect surrendering himself to the International Criminal Court (ICC) last week sparked public excitement in the country. Meanwhile, Nairobi continues its struggle to reach justice for perpetrators of its post-election violence. 

ICC chief prosecutor Luis Moreno Ocampo said last week that “the person wrote to us a couple of weeks ago indicating that he was ready to surrender to the court if cited as a suspect.” He declined to name the person.

Violent clashes took place after the December 2007 general election, leaving some 1,300 people dead and
more than 300,000 people displaced. Many Kenyans are hopeful arrests and convictions will act as a deterrent against a repeat of violence at the next elections due in 2012.

Mixed signals
Since the ICC made it clear in April this year that it would investigate perpetrators of the post-election
violence, Nairobi has been struggling to get involved parties to cooperate with the probe.

Justice, National Cohesion and Constitutional Affairs Minister Mutula Kilonzo said on Monday that the process was on course. “I am not aware of any hiccups. The ICC has so far in writing acknowledged the cooperation the Kenyan government is giving it and that is my position: we must continue cooperating. We are meeting almost every two, three days (on this matter),” the minister says.

Want to read more?

If you subscribe to a free membership, you can read this article and explore our full archive, dating back to 1997.

Subscribe now